i am back in Singapore! There is so much beauty in Singapore that i love :) The people, food, toilet, transport. I love Singapore <3 Anyway, back to the cake! I went to Fairprice and saw SCS cream cheese in a tub selling at $3.95, much cheaper than Philadelphia's cream cheese which costs $5.80 :/ It gave me an inspiration to make cheese cake, also, i wanted to test out the quality of the cream cheese.
The verdict? It didn't fail me :) It was smooth and creamy~
I was experimenting with different flavours, rum and raisin; dark chocolate with rum ; dark chocolate with cinnamon; vanilla with fresh berries. Personally i like the dark chocolate with cinnamon. Cinnamon are usually paired with apples, who knew chocolate could complement cinnamon ;D? Here is the recipe! (With modifications)
The base was made from scratch because i want a change from the usual digestive biscuit base. The amount of sweet pastry dough is more than sufficient for the amount of cream cheese filling, you can freeze the dough if there are leftovers :)
Recipe - Makes a 21cm diameter cheese cake ( Use a spring form pan/removable base pan)
Sweet Pastry Base
125g Salted Butter, softened to room temperature
240g plain flour, sifted
*Preheat oven to 180C
1. Beat butter with sugar till white and creamy.
2. Beat in egg till full incorporated.
3. Add in sifted flour, mix till a crumbly dough is formed.
4. Knead dough to achieve a uniform dough with no dry flour.
5. Wrap with cling wrap and put in freezer for 10 minutes.*
6. Roll out dough to 1/2cm, about the size of pan. ( i simply flatten the dough directly in the pan manually)
7. Use a fork to pierce holes into the dough base in pan.
8. Blind bake the base for 18-21 minutes / till golden brown
9. Cool and set aside for use later.
400g cream cheese, softened
200g full fat plain unsweetened yogurt/sour cream
220g whipping cream (dairy)
40g cake flour, sifted
*Preheat oven to 170C
1. Beat cream cheese till creamy and smooth.
2. Add in yoghurt and mix well. (Try not to beat excessively as it can create too much air cells)
3. Add in sugar gradually, beating to incorporate into batter.
4. Beat in eggs one at a time.
5. Mix in whipping cream till a smooth, fluid batter is achieved.
6. Whisk in flour into the batter.
7. Add in 2 tsp of vanilla essence into the batter.
Chocolate flavored batter
100g dark/semi sweet chocolate
30g cocoa powder, sifted
10g salted butter
8. To make chocolate batter, melt 100g of dark chocolate using microwave/ double boil method.
9. Microwave chocolate in burst of 10 seconds, checking after every internal as it can burn easily. (Stop when the chocolate has partially melted, can use the remaining heat from the bowl to melt the chocolate)
10. Add in cocoa powder, sugar and butter to the melted chocolate, stir to combine.
11. Stir chocolate mixture into 300g - 400g of batter.
Cinnamon flavored batter
12. Simply add 1 tsp of cinnamon powder to every 200g of original cream cheese batter
Rum and raisin batter
Enough rum to cover raisins
13. Simply soak raisins in rum for at least an hour.
14. Mix rum and raisins into 300g batter( more batter for a milder flavor)
15. Pour the original batter into the pan.*
16. Dollop in blobs of other flavored batter. Make beautiful swirls with a chop stick.
17. Bake for 45-55 minutes.
18. Cool cake in oven with door ajar. (rapid cooling results in ugly cracks)
19. Chill overnight before serving :D