Friday, 13 August 2010

Sesame 5 grain animal cookies

Posted by Sweeter side of life at 00:29:00
n



Rabbit



Dog



Cat



Elephant


Hen



Bear (its not a pig)

This is my number one favourite healthy cookie! It is so good that me and my mum wiped out 60 cookies in 3 days! NOTE: they are not mini size animal cookies

It is just a cookie cramped with as much goodness as possibleee. (you'll soon find out why)

You must really try this recipe if you are one of those people who likes to eat those healthy high fibre cookies sold in the supermarkets. (Those individually packed ones? I shan't mention any names, haha)

This cookie is way better!! Plus they are so cute! I like to eat off their bodies before attacking the head. lol (sound a bit sick) Oh i've calculated the calories based on USDA's food calorie database, they are approximately 30 calories each. Like i said, they are not mini sized ones, so it is a must try!!

However, got to be careful with the dough cause it is a little bit sticky. I keep my hands clean by using those plastic cutters/scrapers for bread making to flatten the dough before cutting them out. I work with small amount of dough one at a time instead of rolling them and cutting them all at one go, they tend to stck to the work surface.

The trick here is to use the scraper to scrape up the flattened dough off the work surface. (using hands to peel the dough tends to break it apart and you'll have to rework again) Before you cut the dough with the cutter.

I twice baked the cookies for extra crispness and to last longer ( but there wasn't a need to,lol)


Here's the recipe

Ingredients

100g 5 grain flour
100g Wholemeal flour
40g Ground almonds
60g Nestum cereals
12g Each of black and white sesame seeds, toasted at 150C for 10 minutes(Keep an eye on them)
1/4 Tsp baking powder
20g milk
110g Maple Syrup
50g Canola oil
pinch of salt

Preheat* 170C

Method

Mix the dry ingredients together, including sesame seeds, excluding salt
Whisk maple syrup, oil, salt and milk together to form a paste
Mix a well in the center of the dry mix
Pour in the Wet mixture
Stir gradually using a spoon
Use hand to form a dough if necessary
Flatten dough with Scraper or palm of the hand
Cut out dough and place directly on baking pan.
Preheat oven* after half the tray is filled with unbaked cookies.( My oven bakes about 30 cookies per tray)
Bake for 12 minutes at 170C
Bake second time after all cookies have cooled at 140C for 10 minutes (Bake with the underside up)
Hello Mr bear : )

11 comments on "Sesame 5 grain animal cookies"

Shirley @ Kokken69 on 13 August 2010 at 08:28 said...

Oh, I ate this at the party... it was really cute. I have to agree that it tasted better than those health cereal bars at organic food store but I still like my cookies crumbly and buttery :)

Jess @ Bakericious on 13 August 2010 at 20:31 said...

the cookies are so cute :)

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on 13 August 2010 at 20:36 said...

So adorable! You're SO health-conscious! LOL! I can't beat you in that sense! Haha!

Sweeter side of life on 14 August 2010 at 00:26 said...

Yes i am totally health concious, this cookie makes you feel GOOD after eating it. They are just the things you want to feed young children with. They probably wouldn't know the difference :D

They are so cute thanks to the cutters! I bought them at tangs, seems like its the only place that sells it. Pretty expensive, $7.90 for a box of 6 but given the positive feedbacks, i guess it is worth the extra dollars.

I want to try making mini chocolate chip cookies with them.
Such a fun thing to eat them, haha

Cereal bars are expensive, homemade stuff are always better :)
That just reminds me that i have a few boxes of nature valley energy bars in my pantry,haha.

Aimei on 17 August 2010 at 00:07 said...

Hey thanks for posting this recipe. I love this ans will definitely make this cos' like you, I'm health-conscious (or rather weight-conscious to be exact). :P

Passionate About Baking on 17 August 2010 at 08:58 said...

Yan Ee,
Thanks for sharing this recipe. I like the cookies. After eating, I just don't feel guilty at all. I finished those which I "tapao" home. :) It's sure a healthy snack!

Germaine Low said...

This is really yummy!! Feel like eating them again.. :)

Sweeter side of life on 18 August 2010 at 00:52 said...

:D Germaine, you've tried them before?? i dont remember bringing for the CG. haha but i will be making them again!!

Hope the recipe works for you guys! have fun baking! :)

youfei on 19 August 2010 at 11:17 said...

Hi Yan Ee,

These cookies sure are super healthy! I think you can be buddies with my mum! HAha, she's always asking me about making the bakes healthier =p

And, guess what, I do eat brown rice for meals at home. lol!

You Fei

Blessed Homemaker on 9 September 2010 at 11:59 said...

Very healthy cookies! Are these crispy or soft cookies?

Anonymous said...

Hi! thanks for your recipe! i really love them.. however mine becomes soft after like a few hours of cooling.. its hard and crispy when its baked but softens after awhile. Do u know why this is so? does 5 grain flour means grind-ed 5 grain cereals? also mine doesnt seem to stick together.. infact its very crumbly and difficult to roll it into a cookie shape.. am i doing the wrong way?

 

Sweeter Side of Life Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez