Saturday, 21 August 2010

Char Siew Buo Luo Bao

Posted by Sweeter side of life at 13:39:00
This was made two days ago, i didn't have the time to post about it as i was busy with my duties at the Youth Olympic Village. It is so exciting to be part of YOG 2010 !! Singapore's first ever : )

For this Char Siew Recipe, it was published on the most recent sunday times. I saw it and then decided to try out the recipe. Well maybe my skills aren't good enough because i still feel that the ones sold at crystal jade still taste better, haha :d


After baking


Before Baking




Roasting in action


Crumb mixture for pastry top




The char Siew filling was really too sweet for my taste, and i did cut down on that honey (strongly not recommended for people who can't eat sweet stuff)



The bun itself was soft on that day but became quite stale the next. I halved the recipe for the bread dough but added double the amount of butter it called for. i think that's why it only manage to 'double' in size after what seems like 2 hours instead of the stated 1 hour.

The pastry on the top of the bun had texture similar to that of a butter cookie, haha you can see how the stiff the pastry is in the picture below. haha i give myself a 6/10 for first attempt.
I won't be uploading the recipe since i am quite unusure about it : ) Hope you guys understand, haha!



Oh by the way, this is a picture of a yogurt chiffon cake i made on tuesday ;)

13 comments on "Char Siew Buo Luo Bao"

Jessie Hearty Bakes on 21 August 2010 at 14:32 said...

Hi Yan Ee, your char siew buo luo bao looks inviting! I love the sweet & juicy fillings.

busygran on 21 August 2010 at 15:35 said...

You have done a good job! The buns look good! Those commercially-made usually have some extra stuff added to make them taste good. I also saw the recipe in the papers but it didn't appeal to me.

Passionate About Baking on 21 August 2010 at 17:00 said...

Oh wow! I wanted to try this too! You know, I was on my way back from HK when I saw this recipe in the papers! I was elated. I actually brought back 3 char siew polo buns from HK airport for my kids to try. I just love it!
It was a good attempt on your part. From the pictures, it does really look good! :)

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on 21 August 2010 at 17:24 said...

Yan Ee, it's always nice to know you're keeping yourself VERY occupied with so many things in life! Live life to the fullest! Wah, you're also in the YOG!!??

I also made bor lor bao 7 months ago, which I have yet to blog about. LOL! So is my char siew ... like from more than a year ago!!?? LOL! I'm not quite happy with my bor lor bao pastry atop. I recently just bought the 臭粉 just to try making the buns again ... and my long-forgotten char siew bao ... HAHAHA! Will see when those happen ...

Happy baking and cooking!

Jess @ Bakericious on 21 August 2010 at 17:56 said...

Yan Ee, the Po Loh Bao looks so tempting and I love the juicy filling. And not forgetting the nicely baked yogurt chiffon :).

Sweeter Side of Life on 22 August 2010 at 01:52 said...

Jessie : Thank you for your kind words! Yeah it was really sweet, i think children will like this bao a lot since its so sweet? haha but i would reduce the honey in the narinade for myself next round.

busygran : thanks for dropping by :) Is that so?? They added some extra stuff in their buns? argh i feel cheated :X haha oh well, i'll have to improvise on this recipe so i can avoid eating commercially made ones.

Jane@ passionate about baking: WOW from HK? I've eaten the ones in hong kong! They are so huge and satisfying! oh i miss the buns....Your children are so lucky!!

Pei-lin: haha yes thank you for your lovely words!My duty is to interacct with athletes and as them about how they find their food. It is exciting to talk to people from all over the world!!

Wow i would love to see your buo luo bao, i am sure it is going to be better than mine!

Jess: Thanks! luckily there were no major mishaps on the first attempt! It was difficult to find time to make the bao, took me about 5 hours!

Jo on 22 August 2010 at 08:55 said...

Hi Yan Ee, these buns looks awfully good and just like outside bakeries. I was eyeing the recipe that was posted last Sunday in the papers but now that you have posted out yours, I'm going to KIV this. I love eating these buns especially with char siew filing.

Kitchen Corner on 22 August 2010 at 10:23 said...

I love polo buns and make it quite often too but never tried with char siew filling before. That's very good idea indeed! I must give it a try!

Bakertan on 22 August 2010 at 15:00 said...

Hey Yan Ee,

Agree that its indeed exciting to be part of YOG.

I love char siew buo lo baos, especilly the ones from crystal jade cakery. These look great with the juicy char siew fillings. Must be a lot of work involved.

How did you unmould your chiffon cake with the skin so nicely intact? I can never do that.

youfei on 23 August 2010 at 00:32 said...

Hi Yan Ee,

It's wonderful to know you're baking so much despite the busy busy days you have especially being involved in YOG.

The bo lor paos looks AWESOME and the char siew sauce is just screaming out to me "EAT ME!"

Maybe must add more savory touch to the char siew? I'm a total noob when it comes to "cooking" related =X

But nice buns there! =)

Sweeter Side of Life on 23 August 2010 at 01:29 said...

Jo : Yes i prefer those with fillings as opposed to the ones without, it is more satisfying! : D

Zhuo Yuan: Thanks for you comments! For the chiffon cake i simply used a bamboo stick, you know those stick for satay? yeah i use a sawing movement to get the cake out, i do this sawing action for all surface area of the cake in contact with the mould so it doesnt stick to the mould. Hope this helps!

Youfei : Haha you are so funny! yes it needs more salt/less sugar ;d

Grace: Yes do try at least once! Just for the experience : ) You'll enjoy the process :D

Aimei on 29 August 2010 at 14:51 said...

Oh your buns looks good.. Made me miss the polo buns i had few days ago at hongkong.. :P

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

 

Sweeter Side of Life Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez