Sunday, 6 June 2010

Wholemeal Cereal Cookies (With M&Ms)

Posted by Sweeter side of life at 22:21:00



The day has come to announce that i don't have to spend every second of my life(while awake) studying! Yes i do love what i do- studying but baking is the fire that keeps the fire buring passionately. I am at lost right now, which electives should i choose? In the next semester, i will be studying 5 out of the 9 electives available. Basically it is 3 components; nutrition;food science;food establishment management. Well since i plan to srt up my own bakery, of course i would choose food management, but what about the other two?? It is a really difficult decision to make. First up, there isn't a dietitian degree available in Singapore(how sad is this??) Secondly, although there is indeed a degree in food science and technology in NUS, then it is almost an imperative to take the anaylsis module which is really tough.(A LOT OF LAB SESSIONS) Oh dear, let's have some cookies to calm my brain cells down. They are shrivelling to the size of a pea(I know pea is WAY bigger than a cell)



Now this cookie is wholemeal, taste really good, the oat cereals gave a nutty flavour and lowered the calories!! They'll bulk up your cookie, so you think you are eating a lot of cookies but actually have lesser calories : D This cookie is really worth making, the recipe is simple enough and it is just so fun to eat, and make too!!



Recipe

Makes about 40 cookies

Ingredients

113g Butter, room temperature
100g Sugar(Original 200g)
1 egg
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole meal flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups Cereal(Preferbly unsweetened)
1/2 cup Mini M&Ms

*Preheat oven at 180 celsius

Method

Cream Butter and sugar till fluffy
Add in egg and keep stirring till it has emulsified together to produce a creamy mixture(no water and fat separation can be seen)
Mix in flour and baking powder, stir till combined
Add in cereals and M&Ms
Drop heaped teaspoons of dough onto baking sheet lined with grease paper and flatten with back of the spoon.
Bake in oven* for 11 minutes
Cool on the sheet for a few minutes before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely
(I baked mine at 180 celsius for 10 minutes and 160 celsius for 10 minutes to achieve a crispy and crunchy texture, my oven is probably faulty :/ )


3 comments on "Wholemeal Cereal Cookies (With M&Ms)"

Germaine Low said...

YUM. I love this to the max! I have craving for yummy cookies now and this will certainly satisfy my craving big time. :D

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on 8 June 2010 at 21:41 said...

Hey, Yan Ee! Nice blog you have here! Lovely whole-wheat cookies! I love having M&Ms in mine too! So American!

Thanks for the scientific insight you provided me with earlier! Now that I know ... But for sure, baking is definitely a science, besides being an art too!

Hey, being a student is actually good though ... better ... I graduated last year and just began my work life ... I can tell it ain't easy. Coming to think of it, I prefer student life ... Hahaha! That's the fun part of schooling, choosing all the electives. But whatever that may be, follow your passion! That's gonna make life happier! I support you!

Blessed Homemaker on 11 June 2010 at 00:08 said...

I'm very impressed with your baking skills. When I was 18, I couldn't even cook a decent pot of white rice, not to mention baking.

 

Sweeter Side of Life Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez