Saturday, 12 June 2010

Lemon Yogurt Muffin

Posted by Sweeter side of life at 21:45:00
y



Well i had 3 lemons seating in my fridge for a week and they are shouting at me for their attention whenever i open my fridge. Yes they've successfully persuaded me- so i made them into muffins :D

I've been searching for a good recipe and i settled for blessed homemaker's lemon yogurt cake recipe


The cake tastes much better the next day, it is more moist and softer. I got addicted to the sweet and sour lemon syrup and ended up eating 2 in the morning for breakfast! Well they are approximately 100 calories per muffin so it didn't make me feel so bad :D
Well i tried converting the 120ml of oil to grams but had an error. It was supposed to be 108g of oil but i only used 90g so the texture of my cake might deviate a bit from hers. Do follow blessed homemakers recipe if you want to have a taste of the original cake. All in all, i like my modified version of the cake : )



I assumed Blessed Homemaker used stir-style plain yogurt, those creamy ones, so when i made mine with set yogurt, i added in milk to compensate for the lower water activity content. I also decreased the sugar to suit my taste. Usually an extra large egg will weigh in at about 60g - 65g but the eggs i used was 50g each so i guess the texture of my muffin will be slightly different from blessed homemaker's. I stirred the batter with a hand held whisk and it works fine. Thank you blessed homemaker! My mother likes the cake : D

Original Recipe Here
Ingredients
(A)
180g all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt


(B)
170g plain set yogurt
25g milk
100g sugar
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
Grated Zest of 3 lemons ( 2 is actually enough)

(C)
90l vegetable oil

(D)
65ml freshly squeezed lemon juice(1 1/2 lemon)
40g icing sugar

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line muffin pan with paper cups
  2. Sift (A) into a bowl, set aside
  3. Whisk egg with sugar, yogurt, milk and vanilla
  4. Incorporate (A) into batter from step 3
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center comes out clean.
  6. Meanwhile, cook (D) in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.It will thicken up ( Due to hygroscopicity of sugar )
  7. When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.

12 comments on "Lemon Yogurt Muffin"

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on 12 June 2010 at 22:47 said...

I love yogurt in my muffins, too! I suppose it brings in more moisture. Somehow, I think the combo of lemon and yogurt. When you have poppy seeds thrown in the mix, you're gonna have rename the muffins! Haha! In fact, I just made lemon-poppy seed muffins too with yogurt last weekend! Love them! (Yet to blog about them. They're already on my Flickr though. I'm damn slow. Haha!) Thanks for sharing your experience!

Sweeter side of life on 12 June 2010 at 23:11 said...

Hi Pei Lin

I would really love to try out baking with poppy seeds but i just can't seem to locate it in Singapore.
I think it is not allowed in Singapore?? Can't wait to read on post on your lemon poppy seed muffins! :)

Shirley said...

WOW! i love to try it:D yes, i agree. lemon & yogurt and one of the best combination. It gives a taggy taste in your mouth~ Yum :p

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on 13 June 2010 at 16:47 said...

Huh!!?? Seriously, they are not allowed in Singapore!? I'm guessing the rationale behind ... What do you think that would be? If possible, when I come down to Singapore, I may bring some to you ... Hopefully, the seeds won't get confiscated by the customs officers! Haha!

Sweeter side of life on 13 June 2010 at 16:57 said...

Hi PeiLin

Thank you so much for the offer :D but i think it would be too dangerous for you to do that! You know how strict our government is, even littering will get you a $300 fine in Singapore! Well thank you for the effort. I haven't been to Malaysia but if i am sure i will one day and you can bake me some lemon poppy seeds muffin :D Haha what a pleasure!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on 13 June 2010 at 18:57 said...

Well, I actually do know of the Singapore government. Very strict indeed! Been there thrice, I think. I know, that's why at where I'm now, things will never improve. *Sigh*

That was why I told you because I do feel like it's a risk. Hmmm ... Yea, it'd be great if I can bake something if you ever get to visit KL or vice versa. However, if I do ever get to meet up with you, I doubt I'll bring you something poppy seeds. Haha!

Keep up with the great work! Very inspiring!

Sweeter side of life on 13 June 2010 at 23:55 said...

Hey PeiLin

Oh don't worry, Singapore will welcome you :)

Yes i would love to visit KL and meet you :D You are an inspiration to me too, I think you write so well and i just adore your pictures. Your photography skills are a few notches higher than mine.
I love reading your blog :)

Shirley said...

thank for the lemon yogurt muffin ytd. it was simply AWESOME! :D thank you so much girl, you've been a blessing to me.

Moo said...

This combination is unique and leaves a fresh taste in your mouth that tingles and twirls with your tongue after you have finished eating it, its as though the Lemon and your tastebuds are doing a little tango while your mind is mesmerized by the sensation that brings you back to the first bite!

Haha ok I'm a bit artistic, but Love me and love e food! :)

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi on 8 July 2010 at 00:18 said...

Yan Ee, just emailed you through your Hotmail account. Please check your mail. Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon!

Shirley @ Kokken69 on 10 July 2010 at 00:32 said...

Lovely glaze on the muffin. I have never glazed my cakes before - this really makes it more yummy looking.

buy lemons on 25 February 2011 at 04:43 said...

Yogurt and lemons. What a fantastic combination. Do you think this would work with Meyer lemons?

Every year we host a potluck dinner where everyone is asked to bring a Meyer lemon dish, from entrees to desserts. Everything has to have Meyer lemons in it. If it works and you think it might work, a Meyer lemon yogurt muffin recipe might be a big hit. What do you think?

 

Sweeter Side of Life Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez